white bean (cannellini) e zuppa di funghi
I’ve adapted this recipe from a Giada De Laurentiis recipe, Tuscan White Bean and Garlic Soup to which I’ve added sauteed crimini mushrooms for another layer of flavor.
It’s a quick fix that can be ready in about 45 minutes. Pair it with some crusty bread and a salad and you’ve got a complete meal.
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion or 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 sage leaf or 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground sage
- 2 15 ounce cans cannellini beans, slightly drained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed to release flavor
- 1/2 cup sauteed crimini mushrooms (sautee with olive oil, garlic and wine if desired)
- salt and pepper quanto basta (to taste)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
In a medium, heavy soup pot over medium heat – put butter, olive oil and onion/shallot.
Cook until onions/shallots are softened and translucent.
Add the sage and beans. Sitr to combine.
Add stock and bring to a simmer.
Add the smashed garlic cloves and mushrooms. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, blend soup until creamy. Or ladle small amounts into a blender to cream.
Once all soup is blended, pour back into pan and add 1/2 cup of cream. Stir to combine and heat through.
Garnish with a sage leaf and serve hot with crusty bread and a salad for a complete, quick meal.