Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Broccoli is a great weeknight meal. It takes only 30 minutes to prepare. You can’t even get take-out that fast!
This recipe can have many variations using whatever meat, pasta and vegetables you have on hand. So you never have an excuse not to cook a delicious homemade meal for your family. 🙂
Do-ahead tip: You can brown the italian sausage ahead of time, drain and keep in the fridge. You could even prep all the other ingredients so all you have to do is throw it in the pan when you get home from work.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound mild or sweet Italian sausage links (bulk sausage will work too; just roll into small meatballs)
- 1/2 pound of rigatoni pasta
- 1/2 of a medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1-16 ounce can of seasoned or roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 small bag of frozen, chopped broccoli thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups of whole kalamata olives (or any mediterranean olive with lots of flavor; really adds a necessary flavor and salt to this recipe)
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Pepper and any italian seasonings you like quanto basta (to taste)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Broccoli
Drizzle olive oil in a medium skillet and brown the Italian sausage. Remove from pan, set aside.
Bring a medium pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.
Add a bit more olive oil to pan and sauté onion until translucent. Add the garlic.
Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente. Remove from heat, don’t drain.
Add the red wine and a ladle of the pasta water. Reduce slightly while scraping the bottom of pan to get all the goodies up while the wine is reducing.
Add the can of tomatoes and broccoli to the skillet with the onion and garlic mixture. Cook until heated through and liquid is thickened and reduced.
Drain pasta and add to skillet.
Add pepper and any other Italian seasonings you like (basil, oregano, fennel, etc.) and toss to combine.
Add the olives, toss with cheese and serve Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Broccoli with warm Tuscan bread.