penne con gamberetti e broccoli
Try this quick penne with shrimp and broccoli tonight. Since fresh seafood is not readily available in my area, I use pre-cooked, frozen shrimp. Add frozen or fresh broccoli and a quick alfredo sauce and call it dinner!
This is easily prepared in 30 minutes; perfect for a weeknight meal.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 3/4 of a pound of penne (or any tubular pasta you have on hand)
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound of frozen, pre-cooked shrimp thawed
- 2 cups chopped, fresh broccoli (or use frozen and thaw it)
- 1/4 of chopped pimentos or chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated into a paste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-n-half
- 1/4 teaspoon each of salt, pepper and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2/3 cup butter
For alfredo sauce –
In a small saucepan, melt the butter on low heat. Add the garlic and cook over for 1 minute.
Whisk in the flour, then the half-n-half until well combined.
Whisk in salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil whisking frequently.
Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from heat and stir in grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese.
Keep warm while you cook pasta and shrimp mixture.
For pasta –
Get a large pot of salted water boiling for your pasta and cook penne until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss in the shrimp and broccoli and cook just until tender. This will only take about 5 minutes since they are both pre-cooked and thawed.
Toss shrimp and broccoli with pimentos and red pepper flakes.
Add the cooked pasta to the shrimp and broccoli mixture. Pour the alfredo sauce over all and toss to combine.
Serve your penne with shrimp and broccoli immediately, sprinkled with grated parmigiano-reggiano.