salsiccia con polenta italiano
This Italian sausage-topped polenta comes together fast for a nutritious weeknight meal. To make it super simple, make the polenta ahead and keep chilled. (Or you can buy the prepared polenta.) The sausage mixture is a snap to brown. Then it’s just a matter of combining the rest of the ingredients.
Use your browser’s print function to print this recipe page.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 tube of prepared polenta cut in 1/2 inch thick slices*
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of sweet Italian sausage with casings removed or 1 pound of ground Italian sausage
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 15 ounce can of cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 14-15 ounce can of diced, Italian-style tomatoes (or your own homemade)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil cut in thin strips
*Make ahead tip: Prepare your polenta or corn meal from scratch following the package directions. Place in a small greased pan or loaf pan and refrigerate until needed.
Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. When pan is hot, cook slices of polenta a couple of minutes on each side until brown. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
Add remaining olive oil to pan and brown sausage, onion and garlic together. Cook until sausage is no longer pink.
Stir in all remaining ingredients and cook until mixture is hot.
To serve, place 2-3 slices of polenta on each plate and top with approximately 1 cup of sausage mixture.
Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese, if desired.