italiana di pomodoro salsiccia arrosto torta rustica
This Italian Sausage Roasted Tomato Rustic Pie torta rustica comes together super fast with the help of a sheet of frozen puff pastry dough.
Paired with a salad and some quick dessert, you’ll have a delicious meal for your family in about 30 minutes.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1# sweet Italian sausage (ground or removed from casings and crumbled)
- 1 large stem of fresh basil or a teaspoon of dried
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 can (approx. 1 to 1 1/2 cups) roasted tomatoes drained
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, parmigiano-reggiano or grana padano cheese
- Salt and pepper quanto basta (as much as needed; to taste)
Remove sheet of puff pastry from freezer and let thaw at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
Preheat skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Put olive oil, sausage, onion and garlic in pan to brown.
When nearly browned, add basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
When completely cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
Slightly roll out pastry on a well-floured surface. Transfer to a baking sheet.
Leaving 1 inch around the perimeter of the pastry, top the pastry with the Italian sausage.
Put roasted tomatoes on top of the sausage layer and top with the shredded cheese.
Turn the edge of pastry up and overlap the filling slightly like you would a pie crust. It won’t cover the filling completely, but it will hold in the ingredients while it’s baking. The top is open-face and you’ll be able to see the filling. See image above.
Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until crust is brown and cheese is melted and bubbly.