With all the specialty oils and vinegars shops popping up, I thought I’d share a few of my favorite, homemade infused olive oils. It’s SO easy and WAY cheaper than buying them!
1) Start with a simple pint- or quart-size canning jar filled nearly full with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Then add one of the following to the jar and fully immerse in the oil:
- HERBS – Great for cooking any savory dish:
1-2 sprigs of your favorite fresh herb (alone or in any combination) — basil is my favorite, but you can use anything you like such as thyme, oregano, marjoram, or dill.
- GARLIC- Wonderful when you’re sautéing meat:
2-3 cloves of bruised* garlic (*to release flavor, peel clove and smash slightly with the flat side of a large knife).
- CITRUS – This is great in a salad dressing, on shrimp, or seafood:
Zest/peel from 1/2 an orange or 1/2 a lemon.
3) Steep for 2 weeks.
4) When steeping is done, strain oil into a clean container you can pour from. Store in a coolish place – not right next to your stove.
You can leave a sprig of herbs or a few peels of citrus in your pourable bottle — looks pretty sitting out. Don’t leave in the garlic unless you want really strong oil. 🙂
So go ahead and try a few small batches and find your favorite. My go to? The garlic infused. Yum!